'Flu vaccination programme 2020-21
For further information please click the following link:
Please note all patients eligible for 'flu vaccination will receive an appointment by post. NHSLanarkshire's Larkhall and Stonehouse vaccination programme will take place in Larkhall Health Clinic, Low Pleasance, Larkhall.
ALL general flu enquiries or to reschedule an appointment please call 01698 687456. (Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5pm and Friday 9am to 4.15pm).
Coronavirus update 15 July 2020
If you have a cough, shortness of breath, loss of taste or smell or fever please do not attend the surgery. Please check NHS inform website for the most up to date information. If you are concerned about your symptoms please telephone NHS 24 on T: 111.
For more advise and up to date information including how to get tested please check NHS Inform Scotland.
- Access. Doors at both The Avon Medical Centre and The Cander Centre continue to be locked. This is to allow the practice to maintain social distancing and reduce the risk of infection for patients and staff. You can continue to contact us by telephone during our usual working hours Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm.
- Self care. Please visit NHS inform for information on numerous medical issues. Your community pharmacy can also help with a number of conditions. As of 29th July 2020 all residents in Scotland are eligible for free medication under the NHS Pharmacy First scheme (previously known as Minor Ailments).
- Appointments. All appointments will initially be telephone appointments. If a clinician feels you need seen face to face they will organise this and tell you how and when to attend for this. The clinican may also ask you to use 'Attend Anywhere'. This is a video consultation and will only be available to use on the instruction of the clinician.
- Prescriptions. Please do not order your repeat prescriptions early (i.e. only order 3 days before your medicines are due)- prescriptions will checked and if not due will not be issued early. When ordering please inform us of your nominated pharmacy where you wish us to send your prescription to. If you do not nominate a pharmacy please contact the practice to check where your prescription will be available for collection, as your prescription will be sent to a practice nominated pharmacy on the day of issue. Unless you inform the practice differently this is the pharmacy all future repeat prescription requests will be sent to. Please allow 72 hours for collection to enable the pharmacies to meet the demand of prescription requests. To improve access to the prescription line at The Avon Medical Centre we have had a further line installed which is solely for prescription requests. The new telephone number for Avon prescription requests is 01698 552933. Cander patients please continue to use the current telephone number, 01698 794910 and choose the correct option. Please note these lines are available 24 hours a day/7 days a week. You can also order your prescription using our online services. For further information or request access please contact the practice.
- Hospital Discharges. We are aware some patients may have discharge paperwork from recent hospital admissions. If possible please scan these and email them to our practice website Avon.email@example.com This will be checked regularly. Can we ask that the paper copy of the discharge script then be posted to us at the Larkhall site even if you are a Stonehouse patient.(The Avon Medical Centre, 1 Academy Street, Larkhall ML9 2BJ) Our pharmacy team are based in Larkhall and are going to be vital in us processing these requests as quickly as possible. If you are unable to email please contact the surgery for further advice.
- Face mask exemptions. Please note medical certification is NOT required. For further information: https://accessibletravel.scot/face-mask-exemption-not-everyone-can-wear-one/ The Scottish Government has developed a digital and physical face covering exemption card for those who are exempt in the regulations and guidance. These cards were now available to request. The cards will be delivered by Disability Equality Scotland (DES) on behalf of the Scottish Government and are accessible at www.exempt.scot or via the free helpline on 0800 121 6240.
New website: Adult Psychology services
Lanarkshire Mind Matters is a new public website from NHS Lanarkshire Psychological Services. It aims to help improve wellbeing and make a positive difference to people’s lives, during the Covid-19 pandemic and beyond.
The site provides information about how Psychological Services can help people – and how people can help themselves. This includes links to computerised Cognitive Behavioural Therapy modules (cCBT) and other evidence-based resources.
It will be developed continually, with the next planned resource being a five-part online course called Calm Distress.
You can visit Lanarkshire Mind Matters at: http://www.lanarkshiremindmatters.scot.nhs.uk
- Facebook. We now have a 'Avon and Cander medical centre' facebook page where we will endeavour to update with any urgent information
Message from Dr Linda Findlay, Medical Director South Lanarkshire Health and Social Care Partnership -Redesign of GP services
We would like to thank everyone once again for their co-operation with these changes. We appreciate the stress this may be causing but we are trying to provide the best possible care at this time whilst keeping everybody safe. Please continue to monitor nhs inform and the gov.uk websites for the most up to date information on Coronavirus.
Mental Health Self Care during Coronavirus:
We are aware many of our patients who may or may not struggle with their mental health normally might be suffering from anxiety related to the coronavirus pandemic. We have provided some self care resources which we hope will be useful. We are keen that our patients and their families know how to protect both their mental health and their physical health in the coming weeks and months. We have attached information from NHSL psychological therapies service and from SAMH the Scottish Association for Mental Health.
Mental health help for Coronavirus related anxiety
SAMH Coronavirus advice
ONLINE FUNCTIONS. Repeat Prescriptions ONLINE now here! To improve communication links we are pleased to announce the availability to now order your repeat prescription online. Please contact the practice for further information regarding registering.
Thank you to all our patients for your patience during a transitional time of introducing new reception staff. Your help and patience is much appreciated.
DAILY 1-2PM CLOSING TIMES
The practice will close between 1-2pm daily, Monday to Friday. During this time, should you require a doctor in an emergency, a mobile telephone number will be given when telephoning the usual practice number (Avon 01698 552930 or Cander 01698 794910). This mobile number will allow you access to a GP in surgery in the event of an emergency.
For all routine enquiries etc. please do not call between 1-2pm as your request will not be processed
ALL home visit requests will initially be a telephone consultation. The clinician will decide the most appropriate type of consultation. This may be a home visit or may be a virtual appointment if it can't be dealt with by telephone.
All request should be made by 11am on the day. Please ensure your telephone number is up to date.
GP Training Practice (information for GPSTs & Patients)
We have been an enthusiastic Training practice for over 25 years and this is reflected in the wealth of experience that is offered to every GPST by each member of our practice team. Find out more
Find out when our practice is open, what the GP consulting times are and what to do if you need help when the practice is closed. Find out more
(Site updated 17/11/2020)